In order to answer the question of How yoga should be done, we first need to take a small journey. Both in time and space… Yoga emerged in ancient India. It is a rich philosophy with its content. It contains physical, mental, and spiritual practices. Yoga is used in both Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. In the Western world, the term yoga generally refers to a modern form of Hatha yoga, which includes the physical practice of postures called asana. So how yoga should be done? Here is the answer.
Yoga is done by practicing various physical movements that are beneficial for the body by breathing in and out properly. Many of the movements used in yoga classes today come from the teaching of asana. Asana means “sitting in a fixed but comfortable position” in the Indian language. This is actually the starting point of yoga. Then there are different asanas, different yoga movements, or poses.
Since the mid-20th century, yoga has been used as a physical exercise for fitness and flexibility, especially in the Western world. Modern yoga has become popular with its health benefits in the Western world. The impact of modern yoga on physical and mental health has been the subject of a systematic study, with evidence that regular yoga practices can benefit health. In short, scientists have accepted the benefits of yoga. For this reason, “what is yoga” and “how to do it” today has become an area of interest not only of mystical interest in the East but also of the medical field. Apart from the yoga poses mentioned above, the application of asanas is thought to increase flexibility, strength, and balance. In addition, performing these yoga poses regularly is also preferred to relieve stress and anxiety and reduce symptoms of low back pain. It is seen that yoga has positive effects on serious diseases.
There are studies on its beneficial effects on specific conditions such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and diabetes. In addition, it is believed that it alleviates the depression experienced in situations such as postpartum where major changes occur in human life. Yoga is also recommended for walking, balance, flexibility, a stronger body, and easier weight loss. We find it useful to make a small reminder… Although yoga brings great benefits, doing it unconsciously harms one’s health more than it does. For this reason, those who are interested in what is yoga and how to do it should first investigate this issue in detail. Then, you can watch the videos on this subject, or you can visit one of the yoga centers that start to appear everywhere and attend classes.
How Yoga Should Be Done: Considerations When Practicing Yoga
Yoga, which provides a physical, mental and spiritual integration, is one of the most frequently used methods to deal with stress and have a fit mind and body. In order to get maximum efficiency and reach the goal from yoga philosophy, a detailed answer to the question of how to do yoga should be sought and all details of the philosophy should be learned. Basic points such as how to do yoga, what are the stages of yoga, what to watch out for, and how to do yoga at home should be learned and disciplined before starting yoga.
People who are going to start practicing yoga should get help from those who are experienced in yoga positions with different positions at first. This help will help you avoid possible injuries during yoga positions. The main types of yoga are Ashtanga Yoga, where breathing exercises come to the fore, Yin Yoga, which allows the muscles to stretch, Bhakti Yoga, known as devotional yoga, Restorative Yoga, which is a healing yoga, Bikram Yoga applied in the warm room, and Kashmir Shaivism, which teaches purification from personal interests. Eating and consuming liquid foods should be stopped at least two hours before starting yoga. As much as possible, clothing that allows you to move comfortably should be preferred. The ideal times for doing yoga are when the sun rises and the negative energies are the least. However, yoga can be done at any time of the day.
Things to Know Before You Start Yoga
- Do yoga on the mat, if possible, on a non-slip floor.
- Do not compare yourself with those around you when doing yoga, remember that everyone’s body, anatomy structure, and movement capacity are different.
- Do not leave the lesson without doing the last pose of yoga, the warrior (corpse pose on the ground).
- When practicing yoga, try to consume little or no water if possible.
- Socks should not be worn while doing yoga.
- If you feel pain in your body while doing yoga, stop staying in that pose; Get out of the pose slowly and remember that you can relax at any time in a child pose.
- If possible, heavy and fatty foods should not be consumed 2 hours before starting yoga.
- Alcohol should not be consumed before doing yoga.
- When doing yoga, clothes that will make your body comfortable should be preferred.
- It is more important to get rid of your negative thoughts than the movements that stretch your body.
How Yoga Should Be Done: Explained Item by Item
How to Do Yoga – Getting Started
- Set a focus for your yoga exercises: Setting focus can help you understand what you want to do yoga. This can be an exercise to reduce and manage stress, or spiritual support to cure a disease.
- Decide which wellness components you want to work on, such as flexibility, endurance, strength, depression. You can also exercise for general peace of mind.
- Focus on your exercise. Constantly update and review your goals.
- You should know that there is no such thing as “good” or “right” yoga: There are many different styles of yoga. You can always meet more experienced yoga practitioners. This is not a competition either. It does not contain right or wrong. Remember, your priority, and most importantly, the contribution that yoga will make to your journey.
- Anyone can do yoga. Even 10 minutes of yoga a day can provide mental and physical support.
- It may take time to find the style that suits you and you can enjoy it. Of course, it may take time to find the most suitable teacher for your goals.
- Try to be open-minded and free from prejudices.
- There is no place for competition in yoga. Everyone’s talent is different. Your goal is to focus on yourself, not on others.
- Find the equipment to use: In fact, all you need is your breathing ability: Some equipment can help you feel more comfortable, especially at the beginning. Equipment such as a yoga mat, a yoga belt can help you improve your exercise.
- Let the mat you use be a comfortable and non-slip mat.
- You can find mats in sports shops or yoga studios and Internet stores.
- Choose clothes that you can breathe comfortably while moving: Comfortable and breathing clothes give you flexibility.
- You don’t have to wear special yoga clothes. Wear comfortable things so that your movements are not restricted. While women can wear tights, men can wear athletic shorts.
- When doing Bikram yoga, it may be best to wear a sweat-absorbing dress as the room is heated.
- Exercise in a comfortable place: Find a place where you can perform your movements comfortably or even isolate you from the world for a while.
- Leave space in front of and behind your mat so that you don’t hit the wall.
- Find a quiet and calm place so you can stay focused. Also, a damp and cold place can be uncomfortable.
- Start warming up with the sun salute: Proper warming of your body can prepare your muscles and mind.
- There are 3 different sun greetings.
- Yoga classes usually start to warm up with the sun salute.
- Learn a few asanas: There is a wide variety of yoga postures and asanas. Their difficulties may be different. Try to learn a few yoga asanas that suit you.
- There are 4 different yoga postures.
- As an example of standing postures, we can count Tadasana, Vrksasana, and Virabhadrasana.
- Examples of adverse postures are Adho Mukha Svanasana, dolphin stance, Mukha Vrsasana, and Salamba Sirsasana.
- Examples of bridge postures are Salabhasana, Bhujangasana and Setu Bandha Sarvangasana.
- You can finish your exercise by doing Savasana. Doing this for 3-5 minutes can help control your nervous system and stress.
- Always ask yourself how to do yoga and update your movements.
- Be sure to focus on your breathing: Breathing is one of the most basic yoga exercises. Thus, you can deepen your asana movements and make you relax.
- With Pranayama, you can pump oxygen to different parts of your body. Your goal here is to breathe in a balanced way through your nose.
- Stand your shoulders back by standing upright and take full advantage of your breathing by breathing at full capacity.
- You can do your exercise more effectively by trying Ujjayi breath.
- Take as much time as possible to yoga: Try to exercise frequently.
- Even for 10-15 minutes, the more exercise will benefit you.
Choosing a Yoga Class
- Set your expectations from your yoga class: Yoga has many styles and practices with different focus points. Try different types to choose the one that suits you.
- Ask yourself what you want to achieve.
- Do you want to strengthen and shape your body? You can try Vinyasa or Ashtanga.
- Do you want to stretch your muscles? You can try Bikram, Iyengar, Kundalini, or Hatha.
- Do you want to relax your body? You can try Restorative, Yin, Sivananda, or Jivamukti.
- Do you want to strengthen your mind? Many yoga exercises can already achieve this. You can try Kundalini, restorative, Sivanand, Yin, or Jivamukti.
- Find a qualified yoga instructor: There are certificate programs for different types of yoga. Find a certified and qualified instructor for the yoga you will try.
- The instructor should always be willing to respond to the students’ wishes.
- The trainer’s attitude should always be inclusive, positive, and full of energy.
- The trainer should be well equipped with the philosophy, history, and practice of yoga.
- The trainer should be able to provide constructive feedback and guidance when needed or requested.
- Find a lounge or community where you can relax: The style and energy of each yoga hall are different. While some can also offer food, some can offer a quieter environment because it is more suitable for introspection.
- Review the level of other members in the class. A good hall can offer different grade levels for each level or group.
- The first lessons are usually free. Therefore, try different halls and look for suitable halls and trainers.
- You can start with the type of work-study: Many halls can offer you free lessons for the service you will provide to help them.
- Evaluate online classes: Many sites and apps devoted to yoga can provide information and videos that show all kinds of yoga exercises that you can think of. You can search for how to do yoga.
- You can find yoga movements for each level free of charge with a quick search on the Internet.
- Do not forget to check the qualifications of online trainers.
- Some sites may provide you with one-on-one instructor support via the webcam.
Improving Your Yoga Exercises
- Set your goal: Put your intent and goal for a solid yoga workout. Focus on your goal during your application. Put your intent in your focus.
- Touch your palms to your palms and hands. To allow the flow of energy, leave some space between your palms.
- If you have no idea what your goal or intention is, think of something as simple and basic as possible, like letting go of something.
- Extend the duration of your exercise: As you feel more comfortable over time, try new and challenging movements as much as possible by extending your postures and flowing between asanas.
- Usually, courses would be in the range of 60-90 min. Set a working time for you.
- Intensify your exercise: You may want to intensify the routine movements with more challenging movements after a while.
- Lung-compulsive or squatting movements can be reduced.
- You can create a more intense effect by increasing the speed of the transitions between asanas.
- You can choose more difficult asanas.
- Increase the frequency of your exercises: One of the ways to deepen yoga is to increase the number of days you do the exercises. You can do up to 5-7 days a week.
- Start with meditation: Many people like to start with a meditation session. The mantra spoken here can be a divine, word, or phrase, said to be the focus of meditation. This can help you focus on your energy with your breath and understand the awareness of your body and mind.
- Meditation is an important part. Spend effort and time to find the style that suits you.
- Consider starting your meditation with the sacred voice “Om”.
- You can feel the mantra vibrations in your lower waist while saying. If you can’t feel it, sit upright.
- You can choose the mantras that suit you for your personal goal.
- Let your thoughts come out spontaneously.
- Create new goals: If you started yoga for a single purpose, try to include other goals and objectives over time.
- Always go forward: Yoga has many benefits. Remember that yoga is a personal practice. Always strive to have an open mind and heart about your journey.
How Yoga Should Be Done at Home
Although the benefits of sports to human health in the short, medium and long term are known to everyone, it may not always be possible to carry out a regular sports activity in busy and chaotic urban lives. At this point, keep in mind that you can do many different exercises at home without having to go to a special place. For example, you can practice many yoga-related movements at home, which is considered as one of the ways to restore your body as well as your health and peace.
If you want to practice yoga at home, you can first get help from sources that describe basic yoga movements and yoga philosophy. To do this, you can take advantage of books, DVDs, YouTube channels, or mobile yoga apps. Compared to other sports, yoga also includes a spiritual and inner journey. Therefore, yoga movements are prepared in accordance with the needs of both mind and body. Starting with the beginner level will allow you to better understand the philosophy of yoga, and will allow the body to flex, strengthen, and act in accordance with yoga over time. By allowing this change to progress slowly, you can establish a solid foundation and prevent muscle strain.
Yoga contains many different types. So, when you research the type of yoga that suits your needs, you can ask yourself this question: Why am I doing yoga? Relaxation, stretching, strengthening, doing very difficult movements, weakening, or relaxing the mind … There is always a type of yoga suitable for your wishes and needs. For example, if you want to strengthen or weaken, strong Hatha practices or ashtanga yoga may suit you. If you want to reduce anxiety, manage stress, and stay alone with yourself, you can do yin yoga, or if you want to get rid of physical pain, you can do restorative yoga. Moreover, it is possible to reach all kinds of yoga over the internet in recent years!
Be careful not to eat the last hour before you start practicing yoga at home. In addition, choose foods that are easy to digest before application. Also, avoid drinking acidic beverages as much as possible to avoid any discomfort such as cramps and/or heartburn during yoga. Before you start practicing yoga, another issue that you should pay attention to besides nutrition is to determine a suitable area for yoga at home. A large and spacious environment that does not have too many objects that can prevent you from focusing around works as much as possible. A quiet and peaceful place, away from the noise, increases your concentration, and helps you to do yoga exercises properly. In the same way, you should wear sports and comfortable clothes, and not let your clothes restrict your mobility. Finally, it would be better to work by laying down any comfortable cover or cloth that will serve as a yoga mat. After meeting all these conditions, you can start yoga practice with warm-up movements.
One of the biggest obstacles to doing sports at home may be the inability to achieve internal motivation and discipline. But if your yoga body and mind are satisfied, your feet will somehow bring you to the mat. However, there are small tips that you can apply to provide inner motivation and love yoga at home more! Make a schedule for yourself. Color this program with different types of yoga, slow and fast flows. If you are applying a flow that will strengthen the body one day, apply a flow that will calm the next day. Turn the mat into a fun space. Mat creates a space where you can relax and listen to your body during your yoga sequence. So, seeing the mat as listening and resting area, make yoga a necessity and goal, and enjoy the process!
Stay as much as you want on the mat. Normally, when you are doing sports, you set goals and make efforts to achieve these goals. But yoga aims to do this differently. So let your body and mind decide not your stay on the mat. If you feel unwell that day, apply a more calming flow. Whether your practice is 10 minutes or an hour. Make room for breathing exercises. Be sure to do at least three minutes of breathing exercise at the end of your practice. Breathing exercises are part of the yoga sequence and refresh the body after yoga. Take some time to meditate after breathing exercises.
Don’t skip Savasana. The Savasana pose is the last pose of the yoga flow and provides deep relaxation. While doing yoga at home, this pose can often be a pose to be skipped. But after your practice, going into deep relaxation allows the body to fully relax. In this way, you can feel much more vigorous and energetic after doing yoga. You can make it more comfortable to love the Savasana pose. Put on your socks, get a blanket on you, put a lavender pouch in your eyes, and enjoy the savasana!
“How to do yoga at home?” One answer to the question may be to have basic yoga equipment at home. Yoga is performed on a relatively hard surface, on a yoga mat. The yoga mat should not slip. First of all, you can start by choosing a yoga mat that suits your practice. Other yoga auxiliary equipment is a yoga belt, yoga block, cushion and bolster. You can use this equipment when you want to relax in the movement while doing yoga. In your choice of clothing, you should choose a comfortable, flexible, and breathable fabric. Too tight clothing can tighten you by restricting your ability to move. You can choose airborne fabrics for your body to relax.
Things to Pay Attention When Doing Yoga at Home
1- Get plenty of yoga DVDs for routine yoga and new positions in each exercise.
2- Find a suitable place where you can practice yoga in your home. Set an open and quiet area where you can lay your mat. You should do it on the parquet, but if your house is carpeted, find the hardest floor as possible. Soft floors invite injuries.
3- Choose when there is nobody in the house or nobody to disturb you. Finding time for yoga is the biggest challenge, so people prefer yoga at home. Be sure to choose the most suitable time that you will not be disturbed.
4- Set your yoga field. You can light candles or dim the lights to catch the yoga ambiance. Lie on your yoga mat and have all the materials you can use during exercise.
5- Have a bottle of water and a towel next to your yoga mat. Do not go away for small breaks between positions and when you sweat.
6- Follow a regular yoga practice routine. Most yoga classes begin with stretching before moving on to movements that require force. Each position continues with the opposite position. The reason for this is to maintain body balance between positions. Make sure that you go in this order in your home exercises.
7- Put these exercises into the daily routine and set a schedule for yourself. If you have a long session once a week, 15 minutes of Yoga will be enough daily.
How Yoga Should Be Done Druing Pregnancy
Yoga performed during pregnancy is beneficial for both the mother and the baby who will be born. Yoga, which promotes mental calm, also provides stretching, focus, and healthy breathing. Being reliable for both mother and baby, yoga can also provide many benefits. Studies have shown that yoga improves sleep patterns, greatly reduces anxiety and stress, and can increase the endurance and strength of the muscles required for childbirth, and reduce pregnancy problems such as low back pain, vomiting, headache, indigestion, and shortness of breath. If pregnancy is going well, you can even practice yoga at home.
It will be healthier to consult your doctor before starting yoga during pregnancy. If you have any health problems, your doctor will probably not confirm yoga, such as heart and low back pain. Many of the specialist doctors recommend doing yoga in the mild stages of the first trimester of pregnancy and waiting until the 2nd or 3rd trimester for advanced yoga postures. Ask your doctor about what movements are to be avoided for which postures will be healthier for you. Deep breathing exercises and gentle sitting positions are not challenging, so you won’t have to do it. Be careful not to stretch your body too much while doing yoga. The body is extremely sensitive during pregnancy. Continue your yoga without straining your body with gentle movements. Exercises can be increased from 5 to 10 times a day. Exercises should not exceed 30 minutes.
In order to start prenatal yoga, first of all, it is important how physical and mental health is. After getting your doctor’s approval, it’s okay to start yoga from the 12th week of your pregnancy. Moreover, there is no obstacle to not doing sports like yoga and pilates before. Yoga experts recommend at least two lessons per week. So you can feel the effects of yoga on your body much more clearly. 2 days a week, 60 minutes of pregnant yoga will benefit you in pregnancy.
What Are the Benefits of Pregnancy Yoga?
- Gives endurance
As your baby grows, you need more endurance to carry your weight. Yoga provides strength by strengthening your muscle groups.
- Strengthens spiritual and physical balance
With a growing baby, you may begin to have difficulty balancing physically. There may be fluctuations in their emotions because of the increase of progesterone and estrogen hormones. You are getting stronger thanks to your yoga movements and breathing and focusing exercises.
- Relieves the tension of muscles
As your breasts get heavier, the tension in the back and chest, neck and shoulders, occurs due to the load. Prenatal yoga helps you relax by reducing tensions in these muscle groups. Strengthens the arm, leg muscles, and stretches the muscles and connective tissues. You are prepared for a comfortable birth with flexibility in the hip, pelvis area.
- Supports nervous system
Thanks to yoga and its calming effect on nerves, your digestive system works more smoothly, your sleep cycle is restored, and your immune system gets stronger and reaches its ideal level. Regular yoga makes you feel free and healthy by reducing stress-related problems. Yoga also has an anxiety-reducing effect.
- It allows you to prepare for birth
In every yoga pose, it is necessary to work with breathing techniques. These exercises sometimes include exercises that can be challenging. When you breathe, you feel the tension in your abdomen, and when you exhale, you go to a relaxation position. These workouts that you do with your breathing exercises prepare you for labor. By strengthening your pelvis-based muscles with Kegel exercises, you are getting ready for the last months of pregnancy, delivery, and postpartum recovery. These will do a lot: Get Kegel Exercises Help to Make Birth Easier!
- Provides circulation
As you start to breathe correctly thanks to yoga, your blood volume and oxygen needs are increased during pregnancy and your blood circulation is provided.
- Lets you connect with your baby
Practicing prenatal yoga allows you to pay attention to and focus on what’s going on in your body.
- Calming you and your baby
The breath you take in consciously regulates heartbeats, allowing you to enter relaxation mode. So it passes to the baby of your calm.
- Brings a feeling of socializing
It is a fact that it is a relaxing feeling to be with plenty of women that know what’s going on.
- Feeding you, enabling you to spend time efficiently
Yoga helps you to get rid of your busy agenda and have a calm day. By strengthening both your mind and body, you are feeding your baby and yourself mentally.
Best DVDs About How Yoga Should Be Done
- Yoga Vitality – Chair Yoga For Seniors, Older Adults, and Absolute Beginners | Made For Healthy Aging, Improved Mobility, Joint Health, Balance, Pain Relief, and Injury Prevention | 4 Levels
- Yoga Fusion Fix: 3 Time Saving, Targeted Practices For Strength, Balance, Flexibility + Stress Relief [DVD]
- Gentle Yoga Fix – Simple Strength Foundations For Older Adults To Fix Posture, Desk Related Pain, Back Aches, Energy Levels, Core Strength, and Stress | Complete 5 Day System, 20 Min or Less Per Day