- Eagle Pose
- garuda = Eagle
- asana = posture, pose (asana – with the Sanskrit alphabet -आसन)
Garuda bears Vishnu and is a mythical bird considered the “king of birds”. Usually used as “eagle”.
Have you ever practiced Garudasana? If you prefer yoga rather than heavy exercise then you need to know the Garudasana pose. This asana has benefits for relieving both physical and mental illness. This is not such an active exercise, it is also a part of a gentle yoga structure and shows a great advantage for our health.
Everyone knows that Garuda means “king of the birds” and there is an epic that Vishnu is instrumental in. Garuda was initially known for “the all-consuming fire of the sun’s rays.” Garuda means ‘Eagle’ in English and this pose dictates that his commitment to ‘Garuda’ is mandatory. There is a main purpose behind this pose which is being very convenient and beneficial for legs, waist, and hips. While performing this pose you need to stand on one leg and this is why this asana is called that.
This asana should be done only on an empty stomach. Before doing this pose, you should make sure that you have eaten 4 or 6 hours before. This time gives your body enough time to digest food. Ideally, it is recommended to practice this pose when you wake up in the morning. And it is also recommended to have a 10-12 hour window between your two practices. However, this situation may not be possible due to the busy schedules of today’s conditions, it may be difficult for you to practice yoga in the morning. In such cases, you can do your yoga practice in the evening. The only thing you need to pay attention to is that you should make sure that your intestines are clean while practicing this practice.
- Level: Beginner
- Position: Standing
- Type: Stretch, Bending, Strengthening, Balance
- Chakra: Sacral Chakra, Root Chakra
- Element: Water, Earth
Step-by-Step Introduction to Pose
- Start by standing in Tadasana pose. Bend your knees slightly, raise your left foot, and balance on your right foot. Cross the left upper leg over the right and turn the toes of your left foot to show the ground (point). Turn your left lower leg (calf) behind your right lower leg and hook your right ankle to your left lower leg like a hook.
- Extend your arms forward, parallel to the ground. Spread between your shoulder blades, wrap your arms with your right arm on top. Bend your elbows. Place the right elbow in the left elbow. Raise the forearms upwards perpendicular to the ground, being careful not to pinch the shoulders and neck.
- While pressing your right and left palms together as much as possible, lift your elbows parallel to the floor and imagine your fingers reaching towards the ceiling.
- Stay in this pose for 15-30 seconds, then come off the knees and elbows and return to the Tadasana pose. Do the same pose with your right leg and left arm on top.
Situations That Need To Be Careful About
Those with knee problems should avoid doing this pose, or it is recommended to do it as recommended for beginners.
Adaptations and Supports
Generally, beginner students have a hard time staying balanced in this pose. As in all standing poses, you can get support by leaning your back against the wall.
- Back pain
- Adho Mukha Svanasana – Downward Dog Pose
- Gomukhasana – Cow Head Pose
- Supta Baddha Konasana – Bound Angle Reclining Pose
- Virasana – Hero Pose
- Vrksasana – Tree Pose
- Prasarita Padottanasana – Open Leg Bending Pose
- Supta Virasana – Hero Pose
- Upavistha Konasana – Wide Angle Bending Forward stance
Poses to Follow
- Garudasana is usually done towards the end of a standing pose series. In addition, the position of the arms in this pose is very useful in terms of teaching how to open the back body, back, and shoulder bones in poses such as hand posture and head posture.
Tips For Beginners
- Beginners often have trouble wrapping their arms around with their palms facing each other. While holding a belt, stretch your arms forward parallel to the ground. Follow the directions from step two and keep the belt taut in your hands.
- Beginners also find it difficult to hook the ankle of the leg that is wrapped on top, through the calf of the fixed leg (lower leg-calf), and to keep it in balance. For this, in the first applications, instead of wrapping the foot above the calf, you can get support by placing the tip of your big toe on the ground.
- In the beginning, it can be quite difficult to wrap your arms or legs as needed for a perfect garudasana posture. This can be done a little easier. First of all, remember that you will not strain your legs in such a way that they become strained. Yoga is all about relaxation and you should follow the same route. Now for this, you can carefully stretch your arms straight and parallel, and then just try to enclose the pose given. Do the same for the legs. You can choose your own comfort level and exercise later. It is very important to always get the best benefits.
- If you feel that you have now reached the comfort level in your stance, you are sure that you need some progress and this can happen with a change in the way you breathe. For a developed structure, you can breathe, push your belly out, and try to make contact with your elbow and knee. Keep breathing steady and do not hold for a long time.
- The eagle pose is a soft posture that you can try to incorporate into your daily fitness regimen, and you’re sure to benefit very soon. It was a bit complicated at the beginning but things turned out very well in practice.
Begin the pose as described, start bending forward from the upper body as you exhale, and press the upper arms against the thighs. Hold a few breaths like this, and then slowly come out of the pose as you breathe. Apply for the other direction as well.
- Strengthens and opens the wrists and calves.
- Opens the thighs, hips, shoulders, and upper back.
- Improves concentration.
- It improves the sense of balance.
- The leg muscles and thigh area stretch. This stretch adds flexibility and strength to the thigh area and ankles.
- Garudasana is a posture that improves balance through activation of the lower abdominal muscles. Attention in the lower abdomen calms the mind.
- This stance; Improves flexibility in the hips, legs, shoulders, and upper back.
- It gives vitality to all joints of the body, including shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees, and ankles.
- During this yoga posture, intense bending is experienced in the body. Thanks to the circulation of the blood flow, it supports the detoxification of the body.
- Garudasana, which gives vitality to the joints, is very useful for runners. In addition, the strengthening of the legs by stretching increases endurance.
- It saves the feeling of body balance and neural muscle coordination.
- It can lift the upper back and hips by stretching the shoulders and increasing the flexibility of the body.
- It is beneficial for the kidney as well as prostate diseases.
- It is useful in correcting structural and postural faults.
- It is useful in removing the toughness in the shoulders.
- It is suitable for getting rid of urinary problems.
- It increases your reflection power by advancing the mind focus.
- It is useful for exercising the ligaments and muscles of the feet and toes.
- It motivates the organization between the shoulder blades and stops the injury.
- It helps prevent asthma, sciatica, and back pain problems.
- Increases concentration.
- It is recommended for relieving cramps in calf muscles.
- It strengthens the ankles, legs, feet, and calves.
- It creates immobility in the core muscles and gives calmness.
- It is useful for stretching the muscles of the shoulders, arms, chest, and stomach.
- Regularly doing garudasana strengthens not only your arms and limbs but your whole body. As it is stated that it is one of the gentlest asanas of yoga. Even though it looks very easy to practice, it is not in practice. On the other hand, this is not the case, and the entire pose is actually not easy to achieve.
- The eagle pose provides the massage effect naturally. Practicing this pose provides friction to parts of your body such as your calves, thighs, arms, and elbows, and this creates vibration in other parts. This is highly beneficial in order to relieve you of stress and body aches.
- In general, balance is very important for our bodies and garudasana provides this balance perfectly. This pose helps fixation by calming the mind and body. It helps you increase the concentration power. This is even more helpful when working because this concentration is a very common problem how difficult people feel while working.
- Blood circulation increases and nerves and veins are well stretched while doing garudasana. Blood-carrying vessels open nicely and all blocked areas are well cleaned. This helps blood circulation and thus keeps blood flowing smoothly up to your brain to give you the amount of relaxation you need.
You Can Combat Depression By Doing Yoga
Things may not always go well in life. Sometimes we can be more desperate, unwilling, or intolerant of life. We all experience the same feelings from time to time, but if this happens frequently, danger bells are starting to ring! If anxiety disorders and depression are trying to get into your life, yoga will be a great companion for you to overcome this situation you are about to experience!
Yoga has started to be used more, especially in cases of post-traumatic stress disorder, as it reduces stress levels, improves depression symptoms, and increases general well-being. You should not consider yoga as the only treatment option!
When you regularly adapt the breathing technique, yoga, and meditation used in yoga-like Ujjayi into your life, you can reconnect with your integrity. So stay in the moment; you can get rid of worries, problems, and fears.
Humanity often longs for a simpler, more genuine life that really suits its nature. It was then that the West turned to the East, which is the place of almost all teachings for a wisdom lesson, a useful discipline in life. This is yoga, which is one of the most well-known and applied teachings all over the world.
You must have heard of yoga with hearsay knowledge without knowing exactly what it is or even practicing it. They will even say that yoga includes subjects such as sleeping on a plank with nails as if lying on a feather bed, hooking the legs over the head, standing on the head for hours, and piercing the tongue without pain. There are of course the poor, especially in India, who have devoted themselves to this kind of demonstration. Some of them have gained some of the power that the discipline of body and mind has given by learning and practicing yoga. But these are people who demonstrate as means of subsistence, taking advantage of the good intentions of patriots and foreigners.
True Yogis don’t show themselves that way. They have been the trustees of a gradually evolved science of life for thousands of years. Yoga is neither poverty (as the human body is considered the source of all evil in Indian philosophy, suffering to the body as necessary for the salvation and happiness of the soul) nor magic. It doesn’t matter that much. Because yoga class is experiential. After attending the yoga class with an expert instructor, you can easily make your decision yourself. At the end of the lesson, you will feel physical and mental peace and happiness. This doctrine improves both the body and the mind with physical and clarified intellectual exercises and offers the science of life and unique powers to those who practice it.
No matter what age you are, yoga will bring you well-being. If you are young, you will prepare yourself for a good life. If you are not young, it should not be said, “It is too late to start now, I am too old. It passed me.” Whereas a 40-year-old person was called old in ancient times, now human beings are forty years old, in the fit of his age. Many years of experience have proven that yoga instills the happiness of life by giving health, peace, and vitality to everyone regardless of gender and age.
Yoga discipline requires neither an unexpected skill nor an extraordinary talent from you in order to gain the health of the body and spirit. Among the daily stresses of your life, you do not need to spend long hours learning and practicing yoga. Strict rules are not required from you, which will quickly discourage you. Except for the lesson, you will make a daily effort for only 15 to 30 minutes, and then adopt a very natural order. As long as your work is uninterrupted and continuous. The important thing is not only to start yoga, but it is also necessary to persist in this way.
You will see the right path, bright moments, and a beautiful future as you are freed from physical ailments, gained self-control, mental health, free from doubts, anxieties, fixed ideas, complexes, and a clear way of thinking with the development of will and decision power. Regardless of your profession, you will be successful and finally, you will understand what happiness means.
When we calm down and deal with the physical symptoms of depression, it may be a little easier to see our emotional problems. The mind is calmed by poses such as dolphin, reverse-facing dog, and headstand. While anxiety and stress decrease, the symptoms of depression subside. It also increases your energy.
Long and deep postures such as pigeon, lizard, and butterfly open our chakras, allowing our anger to get off our hips, our sadness from our chest, and our stress from our shoulders. In this way, we reveal the emotions that are trapped in our bodies and make room in our soul for good feelings.
Being physically active increases the endorphin (happiness hormone) secretion in the body and encourages the body to produce it spontaneously. This teaches the body how to spontaneously raise serotonin when needed. Thanks to the energy expended during yoga, endorphin hormones are secreted in the body, thus reducing the depressed mood and feeling happier.
Yoga Poses and Mantras That Increase Happiness
The mantra, which literally means “emptying the mind,” allows you to create high vibrations with the words you choose. You can feel much better when you practice poses with mantras gathered around the five main goals of yoga practice.
1. Eagle Pose (Garudasana)
This posture forces you to concentrate. It provides the necessary warmth in your hips to release grief, frustration, and anger. While in this position, repeat this mantra: “Let the past be past, let our present be clear, and in the future everything I dream of coming true.”
2. Dolphin Pose (Ardha Pincha Mayurasana)
In this posture, you will be winged forward and all the points where your emotions are hidden are revealed. In this position, you can say the following mantra: “Those who know how to be happy with small things will find happiness and will certainly find the peace they seek.”
3. Lizard Pose (Utthan Pristhasana)
It improves the flexibility of your hips while allowing you to rest quietly. In this position, you can chant the mantra: “Nobody is perfect. I’m not either. It’s common for me to make mistakes and learn. Because I am a student. This makes me strong. “
4. Corpse Pose (Shavasana)
This posture by its nature combats depression by giving you deep relief. Allow your body and mind to relax as you open your arms and heart. In this position, you can chant the mantra: “I am aware of my feelings, I will respect them and I will let them out of me”.
SoCal Health Yoga Wheel Set with Fitness Resistance Strap, Blocks, and Carry Bag, Stretching Rollers for Flexibility and Balance with High-Density Foam Block to Support and Deepen Poses, 6 Piece Set
If you are a beginner at practicing yoga, it is exactly what you are looking for. It has everything you need. This set has every equipment for yoga whether you are a beginner at yoga or a professional yogi. It is perfect for all levels in order to reach the goal. It helps to improve balance, flexibility, resistance, and core strength of the body. It is thick enough to provide comfort and flexibility. This set is very easy to clean, easy to store, and easy to carry. Overall, it is a highly convenient and affordable yoga set. https://www.amazon.com/SoCal-Health-Resistance-Stretching-Flexibility/dp/B085RFR7L4/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Yoga+Starter+Sets&qid=1603699511&s=exercise-and-fitness&sr=1-3-spons&ts_id=3422331&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWVlVCQjU1SDhGUDAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyNjgxNjdSSU9JVDhMVDJEV0kmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDA4Mzc5MUM5SUk5N1dGMDdHRCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Sivan Health and Fitness Yoga Set 6-Piece– Includes 1/2″ Ultra Thick NBR Exercise Mat, 2 Yoga Blocks, 1 Yoga Mat Towel, 1 Yoga Hand Towel, and a Yoga Strap
It is a perfect setting for yoga lovers. It is designed with memory foam in order to provide comfort and balance. There is a smooth face on one side of the mat and there is a non-slip sırface on the other side of the mat in order to prevent damage and harm. Thanks to its design and material, it provides balance, support, and durability. Besides yoga, it is a proper set for pilates, fitness, stretching, and workouts. This equipment provides comfort for individuals of all sizes and shapes. It is easy to carry and easy to store. Overall, it is a highly recommended yoga set. https://www.amazon.com/Sivan-Health-Fitness-6-Piece-Exercise/dp/B016CKO30Y/ref=sr_1_5?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Yoga+Starter+Sets&qid=1603699511&s=exercise-and-fitness&sr=1-5&ts_id=3422331
7 Piece Restorative Yoga Set -Zafu Meditation Pillow, Zabuton Cushion, Eye Pillow, Neck Bolster, Back Bolster, Soy Candle, and Strap
It is a perfect offer if you like to combine yoga and meditation. It is of good quality especially considering its affordable price. The scent of the candle will amaze you during your practice. It is a great set for people who want to improve meditation practice at a reasonable price. Overall, it is a highly recommended yoga set. If you are looking for something comfortable and smell perfect, it is exactly for you. https://www.amazon.com/Restorative-Yoga-Meditation-Zabuton-Cushion/dp/B014BXN7TW/ref=sr_1_29?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Yoga%2BStarter%2BSets&qid=1603699511&s=exercise-and-fitness&sr=1-29&ts_id=3422331&th=1